Leaving home for a short or long trip takes planning before and during the trip. This is especially true when traveling with children. The following is a list of some things adults can do to make their family trip go more smoothly and safely:
- Parents should prepare supplies for the trip by packing medicine, clothing appropriate for weather and other supplies, as listed below, that will be needed.
- Keep medicine with you as bags can be lost and delays can occur that keep you from having access to medicine if it is not with you.
- If traveling by plane or train, make sure to get up and walk around every so often to ensure proper circulation. Be mindful of turbulence on a plane however and remain seated as recommended. If traveling by car, stop occasionally to walk around.
- If traveling by plane having a child drink juice during takeoff and landing can help them clear their ears. Also, wake up children before landing so they are not awakened by pain from pressure in their ears.
- Check with your pediatrician if there are any health concerns or illness before traveling. You should ask about immunization requirements if you are traveling anywhere where there may be concerns not typical where you live.
Items to make sure to bring and keep with you whether traveling by car, train or plane:
- Medicine, in prescription bottles, in quantity for at least 12 hours past expected travel time.
- Simple first aid supplies (band aids, sterile gauze square, alcohol pads, etc.)
- Antiseptic hand gel
- It is a good idea to keep an individual photo of each child you are traveling with, in case you lose them in a crowd, you can immediately show who you are looking for. Snap a picture on your cell phone that morning and they will even be in the same clothing!
Travel activities for children:
- Books or Books on tape (you can check them out from your local library for free)!
- Travel size board games (some are magnetized so pieces don’t shift).
- Crayons and coloring books (use mechanical crayons and/or pencils).
- Deck of cards
Links to other helpful information on Traveling with Children: